I love cold-calling.
Of course, I'm saying that after a successful call. Did I set up an appointment? No, but the decision -maker, the president of the company, is talking with the intended recipient of my services to make a decision -- so I believe. In my case, I was calling an old contact who had since left the company and instead of hanging up, I chose to hang on and turn my call into a success by asking for a decision maker.
- When I have targeted a company or person and have no other leveraged way of introduction
- When my natural urge to travel, hunt and explore take over to create a desire to meet someone I've never spoken with before
- When I don't feel like it
- When I want to practice and get better
- When the call turns cold because my intended contact is either not there or not picking up the phone
- When I want to see how good I really am at persuading or influencing someone who doesn't know me, doesn't trust me yet, and is looking for a reason not to like me
- When I want to grow a thicker skin
- When I want to face greater odds of failure to feel a greater reward of success
- When I want to lessen the chance of feeling rejected if the call doesn't blossom into a next step
Lessen the chance of rejection? Sure. It's harder for me to call someone I know and like and ask them for business than someone I don't know because, if I'm turned down, I KNOW they're not rejecting ME -- how could they? They don't know me. I get to re-establish the understanding that sales isn't about me. It never is and never will be. I just have to do my job, just like a batter in a baseball game, and practice hitting balls and play the game every day without taking the outcome of the game personally.
And I don't know a better way to test how good of a sales consultant I really am than to convert someone who doesn't know me, has never heard of me, doesn't know he needs me as much as I believe he needs me, into a client.
So, how much do you cold call and what's your average outcome?
If you never want to cold call again, send an email to alliancescience at ownershelp.com for an amazing FREE report on how to get other people to set appointments for you with your ideal client prospect -- people who don't know you but already like and trust you.