When I ask small business owners or commission only salespeople why they cut the corporate lifeline, here are the answers I hear most:
- Make lots of $
- Have flexibility over their schedule
- Help people
In the same vein, lifestyle entrepreneurs have similar motivations as to the reasons for severing the umbilical cord of a regular paycheck according to Anywired blogger, Skellie:
- Time savers who want to trade as little time for money as possible
- Travelers who thrive on the change of scenery and people and either want to make a living requiring travel or allowing travel
- Passion seekers who earn money doing what they love and therefore see it not as work
The secret to any successful career is in how it's designed
The truth is, for most of us, the above are ideals that conflict with the first of the top 3 reasons for starting a business or becoming self-employed, the priority to make a lot of money. Most entrepreneurial careers including largely 100% commissioned sales jobs, take 2 to 5 years to establish and build into a sustainable business which allows the entrepreneur to spend a significant amount of time out of the business.
The secret is leverage
- Start with the right business model
- Next, create a plan, implement, test, perfect and meticulously record every operation, routine and job function so that you can automate and duplicate
- Then, delegate or outsource until you can remove yourself from the business
This is the difference between being self-employed and owning a business.
In applying this process to the most important job function, lead generation and sales, you must design a system which greatly reduces the time and money spent on:
- Prospecting and creating leads
- Setting appointments with ideal prospects
- Following up with your ideal prospect "herd" after you have created rapport, credibility and become valuable
- Staying top of mind by constant communication through a multitude of mediums
- Continuing to be valuable with regular conversations and face-to-face meetings to cement the relationship
Imagine being able to instantly reduce your prospecting time by 10 to 20 hours a week while increasing the number of appointments to 8 to 12 more per week with the best ideal prospects imaginable -- those who already trust you and are sold on your ability. Find out how with the FREE, innovative report, "The 10 Big Breakthroughs in a Salesperson's Life." It's the first step to creating the lifestyle of your dreams.